Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Securing A Macro / Workflow

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hello gurus - 

So I have a series of tasks I need to be able to perform just a little bit differently and I decided to macroize the thing as much as possible.  That being said, one of the operations I need to perform and have written a macro for could go real wrong if someone decided to bring it down and run it to see what happened.  

If I store and schedule in server, I can have some control over who sees/runs the workflows.  But I haven't figured out a way to make it so that only people with the right trust level can access a macro.  Is this even doable?

Thanks.

brian

2 REPLIES 2
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@brianscott 

If you publish the workflow into the Gallery, Collections will allow you to specify a list of users who will have access to it (assuming they're not members of the same private studio already).

An alternative could be to save the critical macro in a shared network directory and reference it within the workflow using a UNC path. You can manage access to the macro location on the directory level. There's a way to force users to enter their Windows credentials when executing a workflow on the Gallery so if they don't have access to the macro location, it will not work when they attempt to execute the workflow.

brianscott
11 - Bolide

> An alternative could be to save the critical macro in a shared network directory and reference it within the workflow using a UNC path.

The idea would be only my device and / server would have the shared directory included as a macro path option?  I suppose if someone were troubleshooting something on the server install could access it in the palette, but it might have to be something I live with. 

Good idea, thanks.  

Labels