Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Search one data set with items in another data set

John8
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I have 2 data sets, A = large financial data, B = small other information which contains details that would like to search.

In excel I would have performed a vlookup using the £"*" so that it comes back with items that are partial to the details of what I want to search for.

In A there is only one column that I want to search for the items in B  (which is just one column) 

I know I can do the join tool, but this won't include partial matches (or I don't think it will), which is what I really want. 

There is a around 1,000 details (in B) that I would want to search so I don't really want to do a If contains etc 

Many thanks

John

4 REPLIES 4
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
John8
5 - Atom

Hi, maybe, but I am not that familiar with it. 

I can't really add the 2 data sets together, kinda just want a if this column contains any of the information in the set B then Yes if not then No. 

Thanks 

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @John8,

I think it would be good to see your data set to say which solution would be best for you but you can test find and replace tool.

You can set up in a way to search for a part of the string only. 

Emil_Kos_0-1603452937500.png

John8
5 - Atom

Hi, so looks like that would work, just want to make sure that attached is the best way to do this and that this would do a partial lookup of the data A from data B? 

Thanks  

Labels