Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Save File Outputs to Different File Path Locations

jbfries
6 - Meteoroid

Hello! 

I have a data set with a Division Code Field. I subsequently need to output a separate files for each Division and have each saved to the Divisions' respective folder on a shared drive. I have a Reporting Paths file (screenshot 2 below) that dictates each file path location by Division Code (i.e. where it should be saved). How could I use the Reporting Path file by Division to have Alteryx save each Division file to its respective folder (i.e. file path)?

Screenshot 1 - 

jbfries_0-1631712520151.png

Screenshot 2 - File Paths by Division

jbfries_2-1631712664564.png

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

There's an option in the Output tool to use a field as the filename, you just need to complete your folder path with the name of the file.

Christina_Hurrell_0-1631713517600.png

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @jbfries ,

if I got you right, you have a file with the path for specific region/division/report combinations. You can append the path to the result data .

2021-09-15_17-11-55.jpg

Next step is to create the filename including the full path and (in case you write to Excel, the sheet name). You can do this using a Formula tool.

2021-09-15_17-14-55.jpg

The Output Data tool has the option to replace the path by a field name. Now you should be done.

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

jbfries
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Roland, 

Thank you for your help!

Attached is my current workflow. Had to remove sensitive data from the Paths and Report. I was able to output to different file paths using the output tool, but couple questions below. 

2 Questions: 

1. Can I do the same as your screenshotted workflow, but using a Render tool? I would like to be able to format the output and have not found a way to do that using the Output tool.

2. Is there a way to specify the sheet name in my Formula Tool #15 to be the 'FileName' field from the data?

Thanks again!

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @jbfries ,

an approach could be to move the "output part" to a batch macro and hand over the respective chunks of data. I've adjusted your workflow a bit. 

2021-09-16_08-39-48.jpg

The reporting path file included in the package is tailored to my environment, so you have to replace it.

Best,

Roland

AnaSofiaPires
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @RolandSchubert  , could you share the Macro?

How did you built it ?

I am trying to save multiple PDF outputs from a render tool, into a new folder each quarter, but I dont know how to automatically change the «location 

Labels