Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SQL inputs for reports

CGadbury
7 - Meteor

What does everyone use to input SQL? When inputting more complex SQL pulling from different databases, Alteryx input tools hate it. Plus, they may not support certain functions that are used in the query I am trying to input.  Does everyone just use excel?? Seems to be a huge issue we are having!

Any other insight would be awesome.

5 REPLIES 5
Raj
15 - Aurora

@CGadbury 
When working with complex SQL queries, especially those that need to pull data from different databases, many users encounter limitations with tools like Alteryx. While Excel is commonly used for its ease of use and integration capabilities, it may not always be the best tool for handling complex SQL operations

Have you tried In-DB tools

CGadbury
7 - Meteor

Yes, I have tried but tend to run into the same issue.  Alteryx is very specific on what it likes with SQL and it seems to be out biggest hurdle while trying to automate any process.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Is it Alteryx or is it your source db? Other than using WITH statements IN-DB. I don't really see too many differences between a worksheet/notebook in Snowflake/Databricks/BQ vs Alteryx. I use a text input tool - which I summarize and add a connection too. The I use Dynamic Input In-DB.

CGadbury
7 - Meteor

How complex of Queries do you use? Once I have drop tables and subqueries and pull from a separate table nothing works in Alteryx.

We are trying to get permission to create procedures, which should theoretically solve our issue. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

I do not drop tables in Alteryx. I do a decent amount of subqueries. It really depends on the syntax of your backend db.

Labels