Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Replace formula for multiple replaces

RajatRehria
8 - Asteroid

Hi team, I want to know if there is any solution for multiple values using ‘AND’ , ‘OR’.

Example: Replace([Field], ‘ABC’, ‘XYZ’) this formula will replace ABC with XYZ and suppose I use Replace([Field], ‘EDF’, ‘UVW’) and this will replace EDF with UVW I just want to know if there is any way to use single Replace formula to replace ABC with XYZ and EDF with UVW, like we use “OR” , “AND” in “IF” formula

4 REPLIES 4
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

hey @RajatRehria 

Believe this should do the trick:

Replace(Replace([Field], ‘ABC’, ‘XYZ’), ‘EDF’, ‘UVW’)

If your replacement values are static, you could also consider using the Find and Replace tool.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @RajatRehria 

You can use the find replace tool to do this more easily. This tool is perfect to use in situations like this one. Check the attached workflow

Input:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668185610115.png

Output:

Felipe_Ribeir0_2-1668185648490.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @RajatRehria you can do this with a simple, single formula using the Switch function:

DataNath_0-1668185600011.png

Switch([Input],[Input],'ABC','XYZ','EDF','UDW')

To illustrate what's happening here, as the function is often a little confusing to understand just from the hover description:

Switch([Input],[Input],'ABC','XYZ','EDF','UDW') - The field the statement will act upon

Switch([Input],[Input],'ABC','XYZ','EDF','UDW') - The default value to put there if no possibilities from the list are found (kind of the equivalent to 'else' in an if statement)

Switch([Input],[Input],'ABC','XYZ','EDF','UDW') - Switch 'ABC' with 'XYZ' i.e. Case1/Result1

Switch([Input],[Input],'ABC','XYZ','EDF','UDW') - Switch 'EDF' with 'UDW' i.e. Case2/Result2

I've only used 2 examples in the list as per your ask above. However, to add more checks/replacements, you just continue to add comma-separated values in the form of 'Target','Replacement' (Case/Result according to the hover description).

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @RajatRehria 

It worked? 

Labels