Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing Offsetting Entries from a Data Set

camilleallen1
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am trying to remove offsetting entries from a dataset in Alteryx. Where one amount is a positive entry (a debit) and the other amount which offsets it is a negative (a credit). Is there a quick way to identify and then remove these entries? 

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If your values will completely cancel each other out, the easiest way is to use a Summarize tool to get the total amount. From there, you can use a Join to add the Net Amount back to your original dataset. If the net amount is 0 the records cancel each other out (F output). If the records are not canceled out, they will have a net amount greater than 0 (T output).

echuong1_0-1606174895114.png

If your values do not completely cancel each other out (say there are 3 lines and 2 cancel but 1 doesn't), you can try using a multi-row. Let me know if that's the case, and I can mock something up.

Hope this helps!

camilleallen1
5 - Atom

Thank you so much!! This was super helpful and such a quick reply!

jwardin
5 - Atom

Can you please post an example of a multi row where the values do not completely offset? Thank you. 

andrewmcateer
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @echuong1 , similar to @jwardin, a multi-row example would be very useful - my values will offset however there are some instances where there are 3 of the same values. e.g. -10, -10, 10. The goal would be to retain one -10 row and remove the cancelling ones. 

Labels