Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Remove rows with Strikethrough Data

SrikanthSampath
5 - Atom

I have an Excel file with updated versions of the new records. I want to delete the records and have only the latest versions as shown below. Example screenshots are attached below. In this example, I would want to check if the "ID" column has strikethrough data and delete the record if it does, else keep it.
I am completely new to Alteryx and would be great if someone could help me with this. Please let me know if you need more information.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 171704.png Screenshot 2024-06-03 171809.png

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have you tried reading this into Alteryx? I don't think this is possible as Alteryx won't read in formatting

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
terry10
12 - Quasar

@SrikanthSampath 

Does the strikeout apply to the whole row?  If so, it would be much easier to add a column in Excel to flag whether the row has strikethrough or not, then input into Alteryx and filter by this flag.

This is how you can do that. 

Create user-defined function called "has_strikethrough". 

Capture.PNG

To create this user-defined function in Excel:

1.  Press Alt-Fn-F11 to open VBA Editor

2.  From the Insert Menu, choose "Module"

3.  Paste this text into the editor window as shown in the screenshot below.

Function has_strikethrough(r As Range)
  has_strikethrough = r.Font.Strikethrough
End Function

4. Press Alt-Q to close VBS window and return to Excel

5. Save your file as .xslm (macro-enabled excel)

UDF.PNG

If my reply helped you, please mark it as accepted. Thank you!

SrikanthSampath
5 - Atom

@terry10 
Thank you for your response.
Currently, I am doing something like this. Creating a flag and filtering based on the flag in Excel. But it's a cumbersome process as I have close to 40-50 files that run the same process and I was looking to see if I can use Alteryx to read in the file, create the flag, and filter it without the extra step in excel.

Raj
15 - Aurora

@SrikanthSampath 

have you tried the macro attached
[Knowledge Sharing] Read Excel Data without Strike... - Alteryx Community
in this post

if yes what are the challenges.

Labels