Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

RegEx Pattern Desired Ouputs Part 2

JonaV90
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Following up on my last answered question -> https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/RegEx-Pattern-Desired-Ouputs/m-p/10865...

I have another task, to pull out the desired outputs from the attached data set. I need 6 different outputs in this instance where there are many combinations of the data.

Please see below a sample of patterns from the data set.

Can someone help me pull out these 6 different columns from the one string column using one RegEx tool?

JonaV90_0-1677110757326.png

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@JonaV90 I won't lie, this was tough due to all the variation. The RegEx expression I conjured up is wild. I got everything to match expect one missing piece (highlighted in picture below). This seems to be as far as my RegEx ability takes me at the moment.

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1677171320021.png

This was the RegEx: 

^([\w]+)\s(.*?)(?=\(|incl\.|[A-Z]$)(?:\(([a-zA-Z]+)-?(.*?)\))?(?:.*(incl.*))?([A-Z])$

Hopefully that helps. 

When building RegEx I think regex101.com is really nice. I used it for this:

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1677171801908.png

https://regex101.com/r/uy5EE1/1 

JonaV90
7 - Meteor

Great! thanks. I cleaned everything else up with a data cleansing tool and a formula tool

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@JonaV90 

I think doing this in a single RegEx statement is asking for trouble - and filters/conditional formulae would be a preferred solution here.

Having said that, I took @BS_THE_ANALYST's RegEx and tweaked it to get your desired output

^([\w]+)\s(.*?)\s*(?=\(|incl\.|[A-Z]$)(?:\(([a-zA-Z]+)[-\s]*(.*?)\))?\s*((?:incl\. New [DC]SP)?.*?)((?<![A-Z])[PR])?$

OllieClarke_0-1677174722955.png

I hope no one ever has to inherit it...

Ollie

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@OllieClarke nice! I haven't learned about Look Behinds yet. Thanks for this.

JonaV90
7 - Meteor

@OllieClarkecan you share the Alteryx workflow for this?

Thanks,

JonaV90
7 - Meteor

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@JonaV90 sure:

JonaV90
7 - Meteor

@OllieClarkeI have to say, your Regex is cleaner in that the columns come out without leading or trailing spaces. Thanks a lot!

Labels