Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

RegEx Help - Trying to extract Numeric data

arbencukaj
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to extract all numeric data from a cell that has only 9 digits however it also is extracting data that is 9+ digits.

Right now I am using this regular expression: (\d{9})

What else can I add to this expression to stop it from collecting data longer than 9 digits?

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Is this one string of data? are you tokenizing? Perhaps you can think about what should come after the 9th digit? like a space so (\d{9})\s or any non-character (\d{9})\U

If they are individual values - you can apply a regex_match([yourfield],"\d{10,}") to filter for values where there are more than 9 digits.

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@arbencukaj maybe there are multiple matches in your data e.g. 2x or 3x 9 digits?
you may also want to check if these digits appear at the start of the cell - then you could add "^" at the beginning of regex pattern

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@arbencukaj 
Better you can show us some sample data? 😁

jbichachi003
8 - Asteroid

@arbencukaj 

In order to only pick up the cells that contain 9 digits, you need to update your regular expression to the following:

^(\d{9})$

The updates I made to your regular expression are in red. The starting carrot (^) indicates the start of a string, and the ending dollar sign ($) indicates the end of a string. Without them, the regular expression you previously put (\d{9}) will match any cell that contains 9 digits, even if those 9 digits are not at the beginning or if the 9 digits are within a cell containing other data.

By including the ^ and the $ at the beginning and end, respectively, we are crafting a regular expression to match a string that begins, has 9 digits, and ends.

RegEx tool configured to the Parse output methodRegEx tool configured to the Parse output method

I've attached the solution (created in Alteryx Designer, version 2020.4).

Hope this helps!

apathetichell
19 - Altair

@jbichachi003- that would work if the 9 digits are always the only element in the entry - but it wouldn't work if say b111111111 was a potential match.  At this point we need more clarity from the OP how the data looks

jbichachi003
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell 

Agreed. I based my response on OP's initial comment (below), assuming OP meant they were looking for cells with only 9 digits. But I may be wrong, and we'll have to wait for OP to clarify.

@arbencukaj wrote:

I'm trying to extract all numeric data from a cell that has only 9 digits

Labels