Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reformat Excel Data Schema

DavidKennedy
7 - Meteor

I need some help here.  I've got to weekly absentee data that I need to ingest for analysis.  I'll typically get this data as one file with about 50 different tabs (only 45 of which will I actually use the data from).  The problem is the schema in which the data is provided is laid out in a way that is not easily...at least that I can tell...by Alteryx (see attached "AbsenteeDataProvided" file).  I've tried attacking this thing from multiple angles and what seems to make the most sense is to reformats the data into a schema where each column contains a unique data element and each row is a record that can be parsed (see attached "AbsenteeDataDesiredFormat" file).

I've racked my brain, as well as the video tutorials, and Google/YouTube without success.  My thought process was to somehow have Alteryx take a particular cell's data from the input source and place it in a different cell (that logically aligns with the desired schema) in the output file.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this?  Or, if that won't work for some reason, how else can this be done.  I can't imagine I'm the only one is the world getting a data source that's in a less-than-desirable layout.

Thanks,

David

2 REPLIES 2
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @DavidKennedy , Here is the workflow to achieve your desired output. Let me know if it helped and please accept my solution.

grazitti_sapna_0-1665466816632.png

Sapna Gupta
DavidKennedy
7 - Meteor

Hi @grazitti_sapna,

You are awesome!  Being a newbie to Alteryx, it took me a while to understand what you did but it made total sense and seems to work great.  Thank you so much for your help!

David

Labels