Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Radio Button use-case

rishabhgupta36
7 - Meteor

I would like to build a workflow running as below:

If date button is selected then input date and display all data for that date in the query like: select * from table where date='user_input_date'

OR

If user_id button is selected then input date and display all data for that user_id for all dates like: select * from table where user_id='user_input_user_id'

10 REPLIES 10
KGT
11 - Bolide

If you need radio buttons to select which then it's either a macro (for use inside a workflow) or an app (user interface for the workflow). An app is what you would post to gallery to be used from a web front end.

The radio button will perform an action (via action tool) on one or more of the tools in your workflow. Take a look at this tool mastery post: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Tool-Mastery/Tool-Mastery-Radio-Button/ta-p/127454

In your case, you could use the radio button to select between each query and then feed that in to a Dynamic Input tool to read from the database.

rishabhgupta36
7 - Meteor

Right, i'll be building an app and publish it into the gallery. 

But how do we run different queries based upon selection.

KGT
11 - Bolide

It depends on your actual use case, but the simplest implementation I can think of is:

Text Input containing both queries and a field identifying them "UserQuery" vs "DateQuery" for instance although I prefer Query1/Query2.

Filter to select "DateQuery"

Radio Button adjusting the filter to either "DateQuery"/"UserQuery"

Dynamic Input to run the query.

I don't have a DB connection set up to replicate, but if you set up the above, then you should be able to translate that to your use case.

rishabhgupta36
7 - Meteor

Looks like a plan, I'll try this out.

Can you help in below workflow - not able to get the output of the radio button text box even after adding the browse button

KGT
11 - Bolide

Find attached a mock up of the process. The dynamic Input is not configured as I don't have a DB connection that i can share available. I've used a dummy query to replace, that could just be a default instead and then only one of the radio buttons needs to be attached.

AlteryxGui_9CLW8QxNWW.png

rishabhgupta36
7 - Meteor

Thank you, but the user needs to input date or user_id where will the text input component be attached to replace the corresponding value in the query?

KGT
11 - Bolide

That'll be text boxes on to the text input like in your screenshot. I advise picking a random piece of text in each query to replace. Otherwise, you may need 2 text input tools, one for each query and then union them together.

You can use the interface designer to then nest those text boxes under the relevant radio button.

rishabhgupta36
7 - Meteor

Please find the below snip, Whenever I input the date the corresponding query runs fine but on giving the user_id the corresponding query does not run.

KGT
11 - Bolide

I don't understand what the 2nd filter is meant to be doing, the first filter is meant to select one of the 2 queries and then run that.

Labels