Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

REST API Call w Iterative Macro

MysticalAz
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I have a python script (attached) that does the below. I am trying to replicate the process in Alteryx and am having no success 

1.Imports necessary tools and setting up some configurations and parameters.

2. Defines a way to extract specific information from a certain type of data format.

3. Triggers a search process in a system using provided details. - HTTP POST 

4. Monitors the progress of the search to know when it's finished. - When run status is DONE, search is done. 

5. Once the search is done, it collects the results using the SID NUMBER. - HTTP GET

6. The main part of the script orchestrates these actions, taking user-supplied information into account. - For now i'm using only USER_ID. 

I have the following information

Endpoint URL

API Token

Username 

Password

User_ID

I'm trying to replicate this process in Alteryx using the download tool. 

1) My first tool is the input tool where I assign the API_TOKEN as a column, the Source_URL as another column and the user_id as another parameter. The value for Source_URL is my endpoint, not the base URL. 

2) I link my text input to the Download tool (HTTP POST). Below are my configurations

• Basic tab:
    • Field = Source_url
    • Encode URL Text is checked 
  • Headers tab:
    • Under 'And values from these fields', I selected API_TOKEN
  • Payload tab:
    • Under 'And values from these fields', I select the user_id column from my text input
    • Under 'Use Following for Query String/Body', I put 'search=|savedsearch%20""' -  Since the workflow is to give me the SID NUMBER for all savedsearches under a specific user_id parameter, blank savedsearch is used. 
  • Connection tab:
    • I entered my username and password

It gives the following under "DownloadData"

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?
response
sid 1712590550.61122 sid
response

It gives the following under "DownloadHeaders"

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 15:35:50 GMT
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Content-Length: 130
Vary: Cookie, Authorization
Connection: Close
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="/splunk"
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Server: Splunkd
Set-Cookie: BIGipServer~INFO-SEC_traffic_grp-2~privacy-dev_https-8089_pool=2840891402.39199.0000; path=/; Httponly; Secure
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=16070400; includeSubDomains

HTTP/1.1 201 Created
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 15:35:50 GMT
Expires: Thu, 26 Oct 1978 00:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Link: <1712590550.61122>; rel=info
Content-Length: 92
Location: /servicesNS/alteryx_rest/nyp_privacy_calc_fields/search/jobs/1712590550.61122
Vary: Cookie, Authorization
Connection: Close
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Server: Splunkd
Set-Cookie: BIGipServer~INFO-SEC_traffic_grp-2~privacy-dev_https-8089_pool=2840891402.39199.0000; path=/; Httponly; Secure
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=16070400; includeSubDomains

This is how far I got...I'm assuming I need to create an iterative macro to tell it to keep running until the running state is DONE. Then I can attach another download tool for HTTP GET and extract the results. However, since I have no experience in REST API, I'm not sure how to handle this and why i'm getting a 401 error.

The end goal is to get all the data from each savedsearch given a user_id parameter. 

Note: 

- I had a call with Alteryx and they mentioned Splunk connection is not supported which is why we're doing REST API call as a workaround. The rep was unsure how to proceed. 

- I've gone through multiple articles in community and have not been able to find something that breaks it down for me. 

0 REPLIES 0
Labels