Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Question for dynamic input template path

8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx Engineer,

Recently we have met a issue for saving our workflow into Gallery, which we have bunches of Dynamic Input Tool contains some relatvie path for template file like below, when we save our workflow into gallery, this path turns to _external\template\xxxx  lead to obviously can not find that file. Is there any best practice for avoiding of this kind of issue? we consider using absolute file path but there are too many place need to be modified and we want to know if there is any better way to do that , thanks!

187_0-1666862748074.png

5 REPLIES 5
Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @187 ,

The solution is to set your paths to "UNC", to do this go to Options -> Advanced options -> Workflow dependencies.

There you can set all references to "UNC", in that way the server can find the location (obviously only if it is authorized for the specific folder/drive).

Also, don't have your files on your own C drive as the server isnt able to access that and you cant set those paths to UNC. 

Let me know if it works for you :-)

Greetings,

Seb

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @187 

Or you save the templates like workflow resources (like you are doing), or you save them as absolute paths. Unfortunately, i am afraid that if you want to start using absolute paths now, you gonna have this extra effort of doing this change for each workflow.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1666865886613.png

8 - Asteroid

Hi @Sebastiaandb  again, thanks for your answer, I can understand the UNC literally

but when I tried to use it I clicked ALL UNC button and there is nothing changed. I am not sure if I need to set up the variable to UNC or not

Let me explain what is my situation right now

I have project completed in designer, and all my template file are all relative. like ..\template\xxxx

and now we gonna migrate our project into gallery, and I can see that all my code is stored at F:\programming \xxxx at the Server while the templates seems not be there and then it will throw out error.

I am seeking using less effort to replace those template file path. Hope I explained clear.

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

@187 ,

Try this and let me know if it works. We also experience problems sometimes with setting UNC. 

It seems you cant transform from variable to UNC at once.

You can transform from variable to absolute.

So to test:

Transform your connections from variable to absolute

then transform them from absolute to unc.

I bet that works, let me know if that works.

You  need to have them UNC as the server will not understand the relative paths. 

Besides, you need to make sure the server account (service account user of the Alteryx server) has access to those folders.

If both conditions are met, it must work :-).

Let me know!

Greetings,

Seb

mhart
7 - Meteor

Hi - we are transitioning all our workflows and macros from the shared drive to our SharePoint. In doing so, the path has become more absolute and now includes the username of the person who created the new path. So for instance, HLehman updated the path and now I get an error when I try to use the workflow/macro. Is there a wildcard for the username that can be used or some other workaround? Thanks!

mhart_1-1680640478962.png

Labels