Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Passing the workflow constant to SQL Query "from" statement

tamluenwai29
5 - Atom

Dear All, 

I have created a workflow constant and named it to "Parameter", and the value of this constant I have defined to "completion".

I am trying to pass this value to SQL query in the from statement, but I got a syntax error.

Can someone give me some advice on it? Thanks a lot!!

pic1.png

I would like to perform something like this, which implies when I update the workflow constant the query result will be changed. 

i.e.,

Workflow constant= "ABC"

select * from dbo.vw_iPM_inform_ABC

Workflow constant = "211"

select * from dbo.vw_iPM_inform_211

p2.png

3 REPLIES 3
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@tamluenwai29 ,

I understand SQL in Input Data Tool is passed to the database as it is.

To update a specific string in SQL dynamically, I would pass it via Control Parameter Tool.

Sample SQL

select Column1, Column2
from [YourTable]
where Column2 = '%Param%'

And update the string %Param% with the data from Control Parameter Tool with Action Tool.
1274499_ActionTool.png1274499_Macro.png

I hope this helps.
tamluenwai29
5 - Atom

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. But I would like to know is there any other methods to perform the same task except using macros? Thanks!

Matt_D
10 - Fireball

Hi @tamluenwai29 

If you want to go down the route of changing workflow constants, and updating the SQL without a macro you could just have your parameter and query in a text table, use a filter tool to filter by the constant and then dynamically update the SQL clause.

Capture.PNG

If the query is static apart from the end value, you could just use a formula tool to update the query instead

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Matt

Labels