Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Parse out into 2 separate fields

freinerd
7 - Meteor

Attached is my screen shot of work.  I have to parse out the account information into two fields, account number and name. I have the sort tool and the Regular Expression tool and will use the multi row formula tool.  I am a beginner and do not know which tool to use first. And how to parse out and separate into two fields.  Please help if you can! Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@freinerd Can you please post some sample data and a copy of your workflow using that data? It would be easier to solve if I could see what you're trying to parse. Thanks.

freinerd
7 - Meteor

Are is a screen shot of my workflow thus far. I don't know what to place in the regular expression. Also a screenshot of the excel file.  My output is supposed to be a separate column for Account Number, then another separate column for Account Name.

Thanks, 

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@freinerd A good place to learn how to use RegEx is www.regex101.com. I sort of emulated your input file. There are probably rows or columns that are different from your original, but you can just make adjustments. There's probably also an easier way to get the account num and account name to populate in the empty/null cells, but I used a few Multi-Row Formula tools to do it. Let me know how this works for you.

freinerd
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the link to RegEX!  This is very helpful1

freinerd
7 - Meteor

Hello!  And thank you for the sample file attached.  When I use the Formula Tool, I am getting a parse error.  I may have the formula typed in wrong.  But the word Account seems to be a problem- not sure.  I will attach a screenshot and also the first page of the excel file. Thank you so much, I am finding your suggestions helpful.  This is the first time I have typed in a formula!  

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@freinerd You spelled account with one "c." When you're typing in expressions in to the Formula tool or the Filter tool, it might help you to type in a left square brace (like this --> [) and then type in a letter. All the available fields will appear in a dropdown menu form for you to either click on to pick, or if what you want is at the top of the menu, just hit tab and it will populate your expression window with the field you chose. This is helpful, especially when typing in complex or nested formulas.

Labels