Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

POP UP when I pull a SAP transaction

JVMORO
7 - Meteor

Hey guys,

I have to pull a SAP transaction through alteryx, but when I run it within SAP, it pops up saying if I want to continue because it is too big.
In alteryx I don't see any option, but the error.
Does anyone know of anything I can do to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Mchappell67
9 - Comet

Hi - 

I assume that you are using the DVW ACS tools, and the “SAP Report” tool in particular?  It should work if you set the foreground/background option on the tool to “background”. 

Mark

leofrancia
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JVMORO, can you share more details of the error you are getting? As mentioned by @Mchappell67, you can consider running it in Background as you would do below. Do note that even execution in Background may still fail if your system administrator has set resource limits.

leofrancia_0-1678881911651.png

JVMORO
7 - Meteor

Hi @Mchappell67 , @leofrancia 

I'm sorry for answering so late. When I run the flow in the background option it gives me this error if anyone knows anything thanks

JVMORO_0-1678904346198.png

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Looks like an internal memory error - might be worth checking with DVW - but my hunch is this is a huge dataset and you are running out of memory in getting the data out of SAP. If this is a table you may want to limit the number of records and see how it runs.

JVMORO
7 - Meteor

Okay, it's a transaction, if the case is a high amount of data, there's no way to extract the information then?

Mchappell67
9 - Comet

I'm sure you'll be able to get the data out, it may just take a bit more work.

What t-code/report are you accessing?  Are you using a variant to limit the rows returned?  Are you using a report layout to limit the number of columns?  What query/row/memory limits did your Basis team setup on your system?

We do relatively large extracts from F-A-G-LL03H (800,000+ records) and works fine, but did take a bit of work (see those items above).

Having said that, it's probably worth your time to contact DVW.  They are VERY responsive and helpful.

Mark

leofrancia
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JVMORO, seconding @Mchappell67 on DVW response. Having been an SAP Basis Administrator for more than 10 years in the past, I would guess you are encountering a TSV_TNEW_PAGE_ALLOC_FAILED or similar in the backend. This commonly happens in dialog processes as those are more restricted by Basis administrators. However, it does happen even in background if the memory allocations are relatively low, i.e. like in your case.

If you have access to your Basis administrator, you can get their help to review parameters such as the ones below and to verify if the dumps exist in Transaction ST22 for your user (they will know this). Note that these may require restart and tests so the change process may not be as straightforward. Your Basis administrator will be familiar with these parameters, too:

• ztta/roll_area 
  • ztta/roll_extension 
  • abap/heap_area_total
  • em/initial_size_MB
  • and most importantly since you are running in background: abap/heap_area_nondia

More information can be found here: https://userapps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/en/2180736.

Regards.

Leo

JVMORO
7 - Meteor

Hi @leofrancia @Mchappell67 

Alright people, thank you very much for all your help, I'll spend the next few days looking at these problems and trying to solve them based on what you've given me, anything I'll let you know here, thanks in advance.

Labels