Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Overwrite with new data issue

ablack4
7 - Meteor

I use a workflow to produce Excel outputs for my team but I am finding a reoccurring issue. Let's say I have 10 rows of data in my existing sheet, and a new run produces 2 rows of data. In my sheet, the top two rows are replaced to be current but Alteryx leaves the previous old data in there. Is there a way to fix this without clearing my sheet every time? Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ablack4 

This might happen when you are writing to range not only to sheet. Not writing to range might fix the issue.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ablack4 ,

What is it you're trying to achieve?

This isn't a fix, it's just how things work, so let us know what you need to happen and we can help.

M.

Bulien

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@ablack4 

Sounds like you might want to write to a template file, that way each time you run the workflow it's outputting to a new file rather than trying to constantly overwrite the same file.

ablack4
7 - Meteor

Hi @atcodedog05 , thanks for the reply.

Yes I am writing to a range, but that's to preserve the header format. Is there anyway to write to a sheet but leave the formatting?

ablack4
7 - Meteor

Hi @mceleavey , thanks for the reply.

I would like my output sheet to only have the data that was produced from the current workflow run. As of now, I have new data being spit out on top of previous data. This is cumbersome because then I have to clear the sheet contents every time before I run the workflow.

ablack4
7 - Meteor

Hi @Luke_C , thanks for the reply.

I would rather not do this because this process gets run often and it would be annoying to have a new output every time, plus if I did that I wouldn't have the same formatting I'm trying to preserve.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can we assume that there are other sheets which are static and not being written to? If not - would it be possible to bring the header into Alteryx and then output the file anew each time via render - that way you keep the formatting constant?

Can you also post a screengrab of the config or your ouptut data tool?

ablack4
7 - Meteor

Hi @apathetichell 

Yes, there are not other sheets. I've never used the render tool - would that work for an Excel file?

Here us my output data config. It's currently being written to a sheet with a range.

ablack4_0-1626205721344.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

if there are no other sheets - read in your original header and format it as a separate table. format your data as a table. union the two and render. You can create whatever format you need in the table tool but you will overwrite the file entirely everytime you run it..

so yes - render works find on excel, preservers formatting and renders as the proper field (ie general vs string). It allows you a solid amount of formatting options - but it overwrites only. it will not modify an existing sheet or range.

Labels