Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Overwrite with new data issue

ablack4
7 - Meteor

I use a workflow to produce Excel outputs for my team but I am finding a reoccurring issue. Let's say I have 10 rows of data in my existing sheet, and a new run produces 2 rows of data. In my sheet, the top two rows are replaced to be current but Alteryx leaves the previous old data in there. Is there a way to fix this without clearing my sheet every time? Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Ablack4, 

There is a simpler way.  

Save Headers.png

I've just posted a 2 minute tutorial video on LinkedIn to answer your question. 

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6896481936257470464/

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

btw - if you don't want to bother with the header over in Excel, attach a 'sample tool' prior to export with a setting to skip first row. 

skip row.png

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

There are two ways to to make sure you erase all preexisting data when using the preserve formatting option:

1. Use a range that is long enough to cover any data that will ever coming in, as @Watermark suggested. 
  2. Read in the existing file and count the records, then use this to update the range on the file name. 

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

The variable of course comes from how much variance is there each time in the file... does it change by 10 or 20 rows or by 1000 to 2000.  There is always more than 1 ways to skin a cat, and the 'best' way usually depends on knowing the exact devil in the details to be able to really dial it in. 

Labels