Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output more than 1 data set to the same excel file?

CDIns
7 - Meteor

Currently, I have a filter applied to my data set, I'd like the 'true' population to export to a specific file on a specific tab. For the 'false' population, I'd like to export to the same file but on a separate tab. I set up the excel file with the 2 separate tabs and created the connections to each tab. The 'true' population is exporting to the tab specified, however, the 'false' population wont export - the error I am receiving is  "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Is this a configuration issue? or am I unable to export multiple datasets to the same file? 

Any advice is welcome - thank you in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@CDIns one way of doing this

image.png

TheMattLeonard
8 - Asteroid

This is a fundamental issue with Alteryx I'm honestly surprised hasn't been addressed more robustly. Essentially what is happening is that "the other process" generating your error is Alteryx itself writing to the other tab. There is a tool you can use to avoid this issue called "Block until Done". Unfortunately since you're trying to implement this at a filter, you'll need to duplicate the filter, so you have one filter coming off of the 1 output and 2 output of the Block Until Done tool, and then each filter will have one output. One where it's only coming from True and the other where it's only coming from False.

Hope this helps!

sergejs_kutkovics
9 - Comet

@CDIns , there are basically two ways to achieve this. One way to use Formula tool and Output tool configuration as mentioned @binuacs. Or use Control Containers, but you need Alteryx version 2023.1 or newer.

image.png

Labels