Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Outliers - Calculating 3XStd Dev from Mean

KSBurnett
6 - Meteoroid

HI everyone

I am attempting to remove outliers from a dataset.  I want to exclude any data points that are more than 3 standard deviations from the mean.  I can easily get standard deviation from the Summary tool but the only tool I can find to give mean is the Field Summary Tool.  This tool would be perfect if I could figure out how to have it calculate based on groups.  My data set has data for multiple parties and I want to calculate Mean and 3XStd. Dev for each party.  The only way I have been able to make the Field Summary Tool work is to one it over and over for one party at a time.

Any help?

1 REPLY 1
Raj
15 - Aurora

@KSBurnett 
In Alteryx, you can remove outliers for multiple groups by calculating the mean and standard deviation for each group and then filtering the data accordingly. While the Summary Tool is useful for aggregation, you can achieve this more efficiently by using a combination of tools: the Summarize Tool, the Join Tool, and the Filter Tool

hope this helps.
if further help required
add some sample input and expected output

Labels