Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

No records when filtering by macro with drop down list

mat_ste_cb
8 - Asteroid

Hi everybody,

I've created workflow shown below. I want to filter "Tenant" by drop down list. Capture.PNG

Nevertheless, when I use it no records appears. Without macro it works fine.

4.PNG

Does have anybody an idea how to solve it?

Help much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @mat_ste_cb

If you look at your action tool, it is not actually configured to do anything.

Firstly, you need to select the 'Expression' row. 

You then need to use the option 'Replace a specific string' at the bottom, here you will put your placeholder PEPCO (not in qoutes).

I've reattached your example. This also feels like a good time to introduce you to 'packaged workflows' which can be created by going to optoins > Export Workflow. This means your assets and your workflow/app get packaged into a single file, and therefor you don't have to manage multiple files when sharing your work.

Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

As a side note, it looks like you want your drop down to only show relevant values as per your first filter.

This won't work with your current confiugration, you need to look at 'chained applications'.

This blog should provide you with the guidance to create this..

https://www.thedataschool.co.uk/giorgia-umani/alteryx-chained-apps/

Ben

mat_ste_cb
8 - Asteroid

I've returned to basic and now I'm strugglling with single filter with drop-down list with external file input. I have no idea why it shows no records. I tried with all action's settings like expression, operands, adding quotes, etc. It only worked when I put whole expression in textbox like: [TENANT]="4F". I'm so confused and stucked. Help much appreciated!

image.png

danrh
13 - Pulsar

I'm not sure why it's not working, but I'm unable to get the filter to update either :(

As a workaround, try adding a Formula tool with a new field with a value of "PEPCO" before your Filter and make the update there. Then, in your Filter, check to see if the Tenant name is the same as the new field. Something like this:

image.png

The other thing that I noticed was that in your file with the list of Tenant names your "Value" field had every record reading "Tenant". If I'm not mistaken, what this equates to is that the user selects "Tesco" from the dropdown, but the update changes the target value to "Tenant". I ran an update to change the "Name" field and "Value" field to match in your dropdown file (I included this update in the attached in a disabled tool container).

With these two changes, it looks like the workflow is running as expected. Hope it helps!

Labels