Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

New to Alterxy: Filtering on Datetime field

Brost
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am a new Alteryx user.  My company is switching from SAS EG to Alteryx and I need to convert some rather complicated queries to Alteryx.  The databases I am pulling from are very large and I need to filter the data by a datetime field or it will try to pull in too much data.  That being said, I am struggling on executing this.  I'm not proficient at SQL either.  How can I filter from a datetime field before the Alteryx workflow pulls the data into the canvas?  I don't think it will work to first pull all the data in and then use the Filter tool, because there's too much data.  Below is a screen shot of the field I need to filter on. In SAS EG I could use the Query Builder function to select the correct date format at change the date.

I've tried this: 

ACTIVITY_DATE >= '2021-01-01 00:00:00'

Brost_0-1629769779376.png

Thank you in advance!

1 REPLY 1
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Brost ,

it's a good idea to select only the data you need from your data source. Within the Data Input tool, you can build a SQL statement using the Visual Query Builder, switch to SQL Editor and add your condition to the statement (WHERE  ACTIVITY_DATE >= '2021-01-01 00:00:00' should work as expected).

Best,

Roland

Labels