Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Need help with making dynamic output

slaurel
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow using In-DB (in database), and I keep messing up the dynamic output part. This worfklow will be used by many people, so I need the output to include their unique group name and date in the file name. As of now, it is only saved to my desktop. I need help with the exact path to use in the output configuration. I tried making all paths relative, but that messed something else up. So I am not sure now. 

This is all my workflow is (in order):

Connect In-DB (from in database tool set) > Data Stream out (from in database tool set) > filter tool (filtering on field called Group_name) > filter tool (filtering on field called Date) > output

I need the output to have the group name and date in it - here is what it should like: "...\ReportOutput_Dog_20220325.xlsx", so I tried making a field (using a formula tool right before the output). I concatenated the group_name and date fields. Something is going wrong though in my output. How exactly do I make the output dynamic? The data will be on one sheet. That sheet can be called Sheet1 - I do not care what it is named for now. Feel free to use any name for your solution. 

Help here is greatly appreciated - thank you! 

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can you share your error - and the configuration of your output data tool - basically you need to check "change entire filepath" on the bottom of the tool - and have it set up as location\filename.xlsx|sheet in your field.

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @slaurel 

1/ you should filter in the in-database part of your workflow, not in the in-memory part. That would be quite more efficient.
2/for output, you can use the option to take the name from a field... but you can also use variables directly in the name like %Question.user_group_name% (user_group_name being the name of the user_group_name interface box) and respectively %Question.date%...
If you want your user to download it from gallery, your file path must be accessible from alteryx service account. if you don't have any path that matches, you can use a relative path like that  .\toto.xlx   so you can imagine    ".\ReportOutput_%Question.user_group_name%_%Question.date%.xlsx"

Labels