Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple delimiter characters

Selrac
6 - Meteoroid

Just a beginner question

Is it possible to have multiple characters as a delimiter in the text to column? For example, using the tutorialData, can I split the Gender using '//' somehow? It seems like it is just using '/' instead of '/' 

Selrac_1-1598979536135.png

5 REPLIES 5
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Selrac you can split the column into 3 if you make some additional changes in the Text to Column configuration. The first change the delimiter to only one / in the Extra character option select Drop with warning and in advanced options select Skip empty columns. I mocked up a workflow to showcase this.

Delimeters_01092020.JPG

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @Selrac ,

Answering your question. you can use multiple delimiters. However, they are evaluated as an or not and.

So // means / or /. the second part us that yo can not delimit on a word.

This is to raise awareness on the tool. @JosephSerpis  has provided a good solution.

I hope it helps

Selrac
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @

carlospelay
5 - Atom

Thanks - this was super helpful!

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

If you have to split on multiple characters, you can do this with two steps;  First, use a Formula tool to call the string Replace() function, and swap your multiple character delimiter for a single extended ASCII character.  You have to choose an ASCII char that is definitely not in your strings.  Here I use the degree symbol to replace the combination delimiter SemiColon-Space...

Replace([Field1],"; ","°")

Then you can connect a Text-to-Columns tool, and use the degree symbol as your single character delimiter.

You can get the extended characters using the Windows CharMap app (distributed within Windows itself).  Start, Run, "charmap".  I arbitrarily chose the degree symbol, because I was expecting text only.  You have to choose a character that is within the first 255 characters, as the Text-to-Columns tool seems to only work with these, and not the full unicode character set.

My use-case was processing HTTP header data, where Cookie variables are separated by a semi-colon followed by a space.

Labels