Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Sheets from Excel - Uploading and Merging

Yeonsujen
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I need some help with uploading and merging multiple Excel sheets to Alteryx.

I have the attached "Example_MultipleSheets.xlsx" file and created the following workflow:

Yeonsujen_1-1636722407129.png

For the input files, I manually upload each one and select the different sheets from the Excel file. There are sometimes "Notes" and "Hidden Files" sheets that are not needed. Also, each sheet needed has a different number of rows I need to pull from so I need to manually adjust each "Select Records" tool. I then get the attached "Output File.xlsx".

Even though this workflow works, it looks quite messy and it can be very tedious when I have an Excel file with 20+ tabs and need to manually upload them and select records for each one like above. Is there a better, efficient way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Yeonsujen,

You can do it using a batch macro :

messi007_0-1636723543211.png

Below the macro

messi007_1-1636723569876.png

Attached the zipped workflow.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Yeonsujen
7 - Meteor

Hi @messi007, thank you for your solution!

I apologise in advance since I'm still a beginner and have never used a batch macro. I have some questions below:

Is there a way I can select individual sheets from the "List of Sheet of Names"?

Yeonsujen_0-1636725955183.png

For example, I don't want to load the "Notes", "Hidden 1" and "Hidden 2" sheets.

Also from the output, there are a number of rows that are not needed. As mentioned above, each sheet required has a different number of rows I need to pull from. Is there a way I can remove all rows where the "Assignee Last Name" are all [Null]?
Yeonsujen_1-1636726060531.png

Finally, do I need to have "Reader.yxmc" saved anywhere in the same workflow? I'm not fully aware of how this works, sorry!

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Yeonsujen,

I added a comment on the workflow to answer your questions.

messi007_0-1636740307472.png

You have to save the workflow and the macro in the same folder.

Best regards,

Yeonsujen
7 - Meteor

@messi007 Thank you for answering my questions in the workflow! Super helpful to know which formulas/tools to use, much appreciated 🙂

Yeonsujen
7 - Meteor

Hi @messi007,

Sorry, it's me again! I am trying to use your workflow and macro for a different file. I have changed the file on the "Reader.yxmc" macro and used the first sheet as a sample (just like in your original macro for the "Amy Green" sheet):

Yeonsujen_2-1637081072422.png

However, now when I run this on the "ReadSheets.yxmd" workflow, it doesn't pull all the data from the different Excel sheets and only repeats from the first Excel sheet in the macro file:

Yeonsujen_1-1637080968372.png

I'm not sure what the issue is, could you please help me?

Labels