Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Multi-Field Formula | Is it possible to use [_CurrentField_] with a prefix or suffix

RSM-LPolman
5 - Atom

In my workflow I would like to use the multi-field formula tool and refer to [_CurrentField_] with a prefix or suffix. I was wondering if it's at all possible, and if so how to accomplish this.

Example:

When applying a change to [Invoice amount] and [VAT amount], in the expression I want to refer to 'Format '+[_CurrentField_] how would I go about referring to this column. Is it at all possible?

Invoice amountFormat Invoice amountVAT amountFormat VAT amount
12,34DecimalComma12.34DecimalPoint
3 REPLIES 3
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @RSM-LPolman 

This can be achieved with the below formula in Formula tool.

[Format Invoice amount] + tostring([Invoice amount])

[Format VAT amount] + tostring([VAT amount])

Assuming the values are in Integer datatype and hence wanted to combine with String datatype, used tostring function to concat 2 strings to get desired output.

Many thanks

Shanker V

RSM-LPolman
5 - Atom

Hi @ShankerV,

The workflow I want to apply this on has about 10 columns each with the prefix 'Format ', I specifically requested the use of the Multi-Field Formula tool so it's less work writing the expressions, easier to maintain in future changes and less crowded in my workflow. Thanks for your suggestion however I am specifically requesting the Multi-Field Formula tool. 

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

I think your intention is to modify a field by dynamically referencing a corresponding field. Like, the program goes to [Invoice amount] and immediately knows to reference the value under [Format Invoice amount], and then do the same for [VAT amount].

If I understood your requirement correctly, then I think the Multi-Field Formula Tool won't work here. What you might have to do is Transpose the dataset, do the necessary matching and manipulations, and then Cross-Tab the dataset back to its original form, like so:

Alteryx - RLM Multi-Field Formula a.png

This is the original data:

Alteryx - RLM Multi-Field Formula b.png

And this is the final data:

Alteryx - RLM Multi-Field Formula c.png

Labels