Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Merging Cells when the previous cell is the Same

ak1982
5 - Atom

Hello,

Hoping someone can help.  I am trying to complete a flow that converts the below table (1) into table (2).  I want to merge the cells like in Excel.

ak1982_0-1602593697418.png

Thanks in advance,

Andy

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ak1982 

Excel merge cell is not supported in Alteryx. Sorry about that.

While using merge cell the table format is distorted hence its not supported. 

Hope this helps 🙂

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @ak1982 

As a reporting output, yes, Alteryx can handle it.

However, doing so has a deep diminishing return (and not best practice) given you'd have to split columns/ rows and stitch them back together with highly customized fixed Width + fixed Table treatments + layouts + renders.

Is this a must-have scenario for you?

Cheers!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

@RobertOdera 

Interesting can give us an example. This new to me also. Really exited to see and learn how its done 🙂 

ak1982
5 - Atom

Hi @RobertOdera,

I wouldn't say a must have, but would definitely save colleagues hours of work each week as they are doing the above on a much grander scale.

Would be interested to see how its possible and whether its a viable option.

Thanks

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing, @atcodedog05 

I will do that! Cheers.

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing, @ak1982  @atcodedog05 

It is a deep diminishing return as you have to control for many things + patterning of the input files have to be static (non-changing).

1. I will assume your sample is finite in the pattern (merge candidate columns/ rows)

2. I will use your sample to build a flow (mainly to demonstrate that Alteryx can handle it)

3. Output file type might be captive (optics work better in PDF, but I will attempt to map an Excel output for you)

I will have the bandwidth for this tomorrow evening, so I should have a solution to share by Saturday afternoon EDT.

***You mentioned the goal of saving time.

1. If this is not a must-have, your best ROI might be from subscribing/ exploring a best practice future state versus wrangling with the current state

2. If your sample is not reflective of the grander scale that you've mentioned, kindly provide a new sample that is (it's better if we do the heavy lifting on a shell that you can leverage/ deploy)

Cheers!

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @ak1982, @atcodedog05 

Sorry, I lost my bandwidth last week.

Here is an example of how I would handle:

1. Output file type IS captive (only works as expected in PDF since rendering an image)

2. Does not work well in Excel given how Excel auto-handles format (I wonder if we could pass-through formatting instructions, but I don't know how TBH)

RobertOdera_0-1603246981924.png

RobertOdera_1-1603247078295.png

Cheers!

Labels