Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching on and logic derived from partial string matching\

GoldenDesign04
8 - Asteroid

I have a work flow that pulls data and outputs a series of rows of data; sometimes small amount of rows, sometimes none. These are error reports generated from system machines.

I have a second data source that is essentially a IT ticketing service that generates reports on a vast array of issues generated and fixed.

So workflow, call it Dataset A output looks like this:

Error locationerror typeunique machine ID
EFGH 51.2CC3456
ABCD 12.3BB1234

The ticketing service unfortunately does not put this information into separate columns. Instead there is a single column called short description with quite a bit of information; let's call it DatasetB:

Short descriptionNumber
String-XXXX-XXX-XX-XXXX-XXX-XXXX-XXX: ABCD 12.3: BB : More String - Data ABC123456789
String-XXXX-XXX-XX-XXXX-XXX: AAA 12.3: BB : More String - Data XZY987654321

I've had to anonymize the data rather heavily. But I think you can understand where the data is.

So what am I trying to do? Two things:

1. Find matches from both data sets that contain the error location. I only need the ABCD section of error location. Then add the the number column from data set B to the first data set A.
  2. If DataSet A entry does not exist in Dataset B send an email.

So in the example above the output would be:

Error locationerror typeunique machine IDNumber
ABCD 12.3BB1234ABC123456789

An email then would be sent detailing the first row since it does not have a ticket generated.

Couple things that might clarify:

The first string lengths do vary although the colon is constant. I have used parse text to columns to separate part of the field out with limited success; I'm probably doing it wrong. 

Any and all help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @GoldenDesign04 

My thoughts here were to use a Find and Replace to find where the "Error location" finds a match within the "Description" field.

Joining that back to the original data then separates those records that found a match and those that did not into two separate streams, so that you can handle each accordingly.  Those that found a match can go to an output, while those that do not have a ticket created get sent to the e-mail tool in this case.

find_error_match.PNG

Labels