Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Macro (.yxmc) on gallery

ravitejapaideti
7 - Meteor

Hi All, I have a macro (.yxmc extension) file which is not supported to run on gallery. The parent Workflow where I use this macro is currently .yxmc but it can be changed to .yxmd extension and run on gallery. How can I have the macro executed in parent workflow? Should I publish both (WF and macro files) to gallery and run the parent WF alone (server picks up the macro inside it and runs the actual macro (.yxmc) available on gallery?

8 REPLIES 8
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If you have a YXMC inside a YXMD, when you go to save it to the Gallery, you have 2 choices.  In the Assets screen, if you check the YXMC, then it will be packaged and sent to the Gallery along with the YXMD.  Only downfall with that is if you have to change the YXMC, you have to download the YXMD, change the YXMC, and re-publish to the Gallery.

I prefer to leave the YXMC unchecked, which means when the YXMD runs in the Gallery, it will reach down and push the data through the YXMC on the Server and when you have to make changes you can just make them to the YXMC on the server without publishing.

Just make sure all your paths are UNC.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @ravitejapaideti ,

Transform your parent file into a workflow (yxmd) first. Then publishing your workflow + your macro will work.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

ravitejapaideti
7 - Meteor

Hi @mbarone , yes that makes sense. But I was stuck at running the parent WF. @fmvizcaino Though I transformed it to yxmd and publish, it is still not supported for running (macro reason). I thought changing the extension could make it run.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the error?

ravitejapaideti
7 - Meteor

If you are referring to the WF error snap, here it is. If it is a workflow snap, I'm afraid it won't fit the resolution as it is complex WF

ravitejapaideti_0-1636052451225.png

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @ravitejapaideti,

You don't need to publish the macro to gallery to allow another workflow (yxmd) to us the macro when running on gallery, there are two options:

(1) Use relative pathing and store the macro in a location both you and the machine the server sits on can read (i.e a shared network drive)

(2) Package up the macro as an asset when saving the workflow to gallery

Kind regards,

Jonathan

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ravitejapaideti ,

If you have manually changed the workflow to yxmd, it won't work

You need to remove all the interface tools from the canvas and then transform it back to yxmd from the workflow configuration.

fmvizcaino_0-1636053545331.png

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

ravitejapaideti
7 - Meteor

Hi Jonathan, thanks for that info!

I am now able to publish my parent workflow (yxmd - Standard) and run. Is there any documentation on packaging up the macro file as an asset with my parent ? I am relatively new to all this stuff and learning things. Thanks in advance! 

Labels