Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Looping through rows, assign a record ID, create a vector and finally cross-tab dataset

emmanuel_varesio
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

First of all Happy NY'21 !

I'm trying to read an input file with records separated by blank rows arranged in a long "portrait" mode.

Each record has two data structures:

a) an easily parsed format with a ":" separator for the first rows (e.g. NAME : ABCD)

b) a varying number of rows containing two numeric fields separated by a tab (a space in my attached example), the number of rows being described in the Num peaks field.

My needs are:

i) assign a unique RecordID for each record with a kind of while loop with the blank rows being the separators,

ii) create two new fields such as vectors of varying length for the numeric fields

iii) remove the rows with the numeric fields

iv) and finally convert the portrait data format to a wide landscape format (cross tab tool ?) in order to create a database with all these records.

I have attached an example with two records in the input format on the first XL tab and the output format I'd like to achieve before creating the database.

Any help/input from your side is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Emmanuel

4 REPLIES 4
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @emmanuel_varesio ,

Happy and prosperous 2021! I've mocked up a workflow that I think meets your requirements

AngelosPachis_0-1609535189591.png

Of course there are ways to do it with less tools, but I tried to keep it as "clean" as possible to be able to track what's going on and troubleshoot it in the future. Let me know if that works for you, I hope that helps.

Regards,

Angelos

Tyro_abc
11 - Bolide

Hi

Happy New Year.

This is my solution

arundhuti726_0-1609537845218.png

emmanuel_varesio
7 - Meteor

Hi @AngelosPachis,

Thank you for this detailed and very informative step-by-step workflow. I'll apply to my real dataset right now 👍

Best regards,

Emmanuel

emmanuel_varesio
7 - Meteor

Hi @Tyro_abc ,

Thanks for your solution too. I like the regexp function to parse the two numeric fields.

Best  regards,

Emmanuel

Labels