Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join three tables with two join tools in the same workflow

davechndr
9 - Comet

Hello everyone!

Attached, is a workflow I created for the purpose of outputting a table with the following columns - whether in Alteryx itself, or as a ".csv" file: When connecting an Output Data tool and the Browse tool at the end of the workflow, the output is blank. (I did this for a Produce store/market.)

Customer Last NameCustomer First NameProduct

Quantity*

Category$Cost of Product to Store$Total Amount Spent For Item$Selling Price$Total Amount in Sales

*Here, the assumption is that the quantity of any item that the store buys is the same as the store sells, so the beginning inventory at the beginning of June is the same as the ending inventory at the end of June, for each product.

In other words, the workflow runs fine but nothing gets output. I cannot figure out why.

Any help on this issue of an empty output file would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much and Happy Fourth of July, in advance!

Best,

@davechndr

10 REPLIES 10
danrh
13 - Pulsar

1- If a number is stored as text, "Use Dictionary Order" will still order it numerically (i.e. 2 before 10, whereas the default would put them 10 before 2 because 1 comes before 2 alphabetically).

2- Left, Right, and Getword all start at 1.  Substring starts at 0.  I frequently forget, so I toss a Text Input and a Formula tool onto a new canvas and do a quick experiment when I'm not sure.

3- Cross Tab and Transpose are basically opposites with one difference - aggregation.  Transpose simply pivots the data, whereas Cross Tab un-pivots and aggregates.  Frequently I don't want this aggregation to happen, so a good way to get around this is to use a RecordID and group by it.

4- Autofield converts the data type for selected text fields to the smallest possible for the data contained.  I use this one a lot just prior to outputting to a database --- having large datatypes can have a serious impact on performance.

I've attached an example workbook so you can see the tools in action, and there are a lot of resources available for these kind of questions:

1- Google is usually my first go-to :)  the online community has a ton of answers already available.

2- Within Alteryx there are examples and explanations.  If you click on a tool in the ribbon and select "Open Example" it will give you a description and a few examples of how to use the tool.

3- Alteryx has pretty good documentation in its online help resource: https://help.alteryx.com/DocPortal/DocPortal.htm

Labels