Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input Tool errors with Excel Ranges

SharkeyNZ
7 - Meteor

I've built a set of batch macros to deal with importing data from groups of Excel sheets in a folder. 

The schema's, sheet names, and row starting positions are not consistent and so I have a process to analysis the schema's and only pull the consistent fields.

At the core of the process I have a macro that pulls a range of cells from a specified sheet - ignoring that headers exist and in string format.

For some excel (.xlsx) sheets, when I use the range function, the data in the sheet is incorrectly pulled - all null cells. The first example is the sheet with no range, and the second is with a Range applied - notice all the null fields.

Alteryx Input Tool issues 2.jpg

Alteryx Input Tool issues 1.jpg

Is this a bug? Or does someone have a solution for this?

I have seen some threads that suggested using the Microsoft Excel Legacy format for excel in the Input Tool, and that works to a point.  However if there are dates fields formatted in the excel, this Legacy approach extracts the dates the way they are formatted in the Cells (eg if date 2021-03-01 was formatted as "1/3/21" (d/m/yy) it will come through as "1/3/21") and as I'm getting files globally I will need to build extra logic to work out the correct format.

Cheers

Craig

2 REPLIES 2
aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@SharkeyNZ try unchecking the first row has data box and see if that helps in either case

SharkeyNZ
7 - Meteor

Unfortunately that doesn't work (thanks for the suggestion @aatalai)

Interesting result though - it picks up the headers but still has the Null data - the real data that should be in column 1... appears in column 30 (just after the headers finish).  

Alteryx screen shot 3.jpg

Labels