Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
GELÖST

In-DB Nested IF Statement

AW25
Meteor

Hello!

I have a SQL query that's pulling data In-DB and I'm trying to manipulate that data using the Formula In-DB tool. I'm trying to check if the line is a Negative Debit or Positive Credit and if so, multiply by -1. This is what I have but I'm getting a syntax error:

IF [RecordType]=C AND [Sum_Amount]>0

THEN (-1)*[Sum_Amount]

ELSEIF [RecordType]=D AND [Sum_Amount]<0
THEN (-1)*[Sum_Amount]

ELSE [Sum_Amount]

ENDIF

I've been trying to figure this out for longer than I'm willing to admit and I have no clue what to try next. I built the formula above partly based off the solution I found in this link:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Converting-a-value-to-negative-based-o...

2 ANTWORTEN 2
Inactive User
Nicht anwendbar

The reason you are getting a syntax error is because you are using square brackets instead of quotes. Use the field drop function to insert fields and then it should work. When you use In-DB you need to write the formulas and filters in the syntax of the DB not Alteryx. I am not sure which DB you are using but if you are unsure of the syntax going forward just look them up for that specific DB.

AW25
Meteor

Thanks Ryan. Here is the tweaked expression that worked:

SELECT

CASE

WHEN RecordType = 'C' AND Sum_Amount > 0
THEN (-1)*Amount

WHEN RecordType = 'D' AND Sum_Amount < 0
THEN (-1)*Amount

ELSE Amount

END

What was odd is that when I did use the Insert Fields function, it inserted the variables with quotations like ''RecordType'' which didn't take. But in any case, problem solved!

Beschriftungen