Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Importing the Same Tab Name with Different Schemas from Multiple Excel Files

dburian
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I'm having issues creating a macro that takes the same tab name from all excel files within a directory when some of the tabs have different schema. All files have the same naming convention, however half of the tabs with the same name within these files have different schemas and cannot simply be read in with a wildcard convention in the file path. The reason the schemas are different is because each excel file contains data for one month of the year and all field names within each of the files are consistent until the month of May where a new field is added, changing the schema. Each file contains three tabs, but I only care about one of them and, again, the name of this tab is consistent among all files.  I am thinking that I need either a batch or iterative macro but I just cant get it to work. 

Due to my job, it would be a violation of protected information to share the files I am working with, but I hope I explained my issue adequately enough. 

I hope someone can help me as I have not been able to find any documentation on this specific issue! I have only found how to read in multiple files with different schema or multiple sheets with different schema within one file. Please help!!

If needed I am happy to recreate three or four of the files with dummy data and share. 

Thanks, 

Danny

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dburian 

It should be doable following the instructions here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/t... 

Make sure to choose these options in your interface designer when building the macro to allow for differences in schema

BrandonB_0-1639440288826.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dburian ,

I've attached a workflow and some tools that will do the trick for you.

The first tool reads in the tab names (which you can then filter) the second then reads them all in regardless of the schema:

mceleavey_0-1639484076953.png

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

dburian
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you! Auto configure by name was not the issue, this helped me solve! 

Labels