Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Import Errors SAP file

jonghr
6 - Meteoroid

I ran a FBL3N report from our SAP environment and try to read this into Alteryx.

The CSV file is read with a | delimiter.
Of the 600K+ line items, about 3K fall out in the initial Input step.

Error messages that I get are: 

1) Too many fields in record

2) Not enough fields in record

Error 1 comes from the fact in the text column there are "additional" | that are used to indicate new lines in the text.

Error 2 comes from the fact that some lines have special characters in the text column and creates 1 large field, rather than breaking out all delimiters after the special characters.

All lines for the errors are blanked out, so I can't do a error handling.
How can I make sure that I can import ALL lines and fix the errors on the way?

1 REPLY 1
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @jonghr 

Since your "|" is used as both a field delimiter and a new line delimiter within a field, the best way to read the entire file is to import it as a csv with \n (new line) as the delimiter.  You may need to increase the record length from the default 256 as well.  This will read each line of data as a row with a single wide column.  From there you can start to parse out the various fields from the single large field.  

If you can provide a small sanitized sample, I'm sure the someone here will be able to help you with the parsing

Dan

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels