Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Icons associated with filetypes not showing with Non-Admin Alteryx Designer install

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Hello,

I have installed a non-admin version of Alteryx Designer (x64, 2022.1.1.30961).  The file extensions did not have any icons associated with them when I first installed and were not associated with Alteryx Designer.  I could associated the extensions (YXDB, YXMC, YXMD, YXWZ, and YXZP) with Alteryx Designer but get the icon shown below for all extensions.

NeilFisk_0-1663110419308.png

I would prefer to have the icons that are associated with each of the extensions and are slightly different in design and color as it makes it easier to see the file types.  Windows 10 does not allow the user to change the icons and since I do not have admin privilege, can't install a program like FileTypesMan - Alternative to 'File Types' manager of Windows (nirsoft.net) to change it myself.

Firstly, why aren't these icons associated during the installation process.  Second, how can I fix this?

Thanks,

Neil

8 REPLIES 8
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @NeilFisk 

You wont be able to change the icons without Admin Privilege.

The icon images are stored here (they are Admin protected):

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\icons

Changing program files is not recommended by Alteryx (change at own risk) but after a computer restart I was able to change them there:

IraWatt_0-1663149194237.png

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@NeilFisk We've run into this same issue, and it unfortunately is an issue in the registry. If you're comfortable editing the registry (regedit.exe), navigate to this folder for yxmd (and similar for other file types):

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.yxmd

patrick_digan_0-1663153710325.png

You should have a subfolder called userchoice. Delete that subfolder. Make sure you're deleting the userchoice folder (and not a different folder!) Then the icons should point to the right spot again.

@Kenda 

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I had this same issue @NeilFisk, and I was able to fix it with this registry edit, and I don't have admin privileges on my cpu. I think it started when my computer asked me what default program I wanted to use to open Alteryx files. 

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Unfortunately, I had IT do as suggested to edit the registry but that did not work.  

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@NeilFisk Did you restart your computer after this change was made?

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

Yes, I restarted the computer.  There were four locations I had to make the changes because there is YXMD, YXDB, YXZP, and YXWZ.  All still have the icon that was selected when I associated the files to the Alteryx EXE.

NeilFisk
9 - Comet

This is my registry at this location, there is no userchoice folder as they have been deleted.

Capture.PNG

NAJWA
5 - Atom

Hi i have the same issue as above. I already follow the step but it still not tally with alteryx file type. I need help on this.

Labels