Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to work with files and change date

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Hi

We have many workflows where we condolidate a group of files. And we consolidate all files every time. 

This is a big wate of time, since old files rarely change.

Therefor I wanna find a good method where I can consolidate all files in a folder. And the next time I do the consolidation I only add whats new, and remove the old file from my alteryx db - and add it again if changed.

Ex:

Hamder83_0-1643969231641.png

And ideas? 

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Hamder83 

Here is what you can do.

1. get all filename using the directory tool.

2. extract date from the file name. And filter the files which only which are latest (you can have temp file which stores till where the last data was stored)

3. read only the filtered files using dynamic input tool.

Helpful guide : https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/The-Ultimate-Input-Data-Flowchart/ta-p/20480

Hope this helps : )

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Hi @atcodedog05  

I feel the tricky part is:

I load all the files - and I save the lastwritetime (to a coloumn in the file?)

But this means that I need to load the file, to be able to match it with the data from the directory? 

Where I have tried on my sql server to do this:

Hamder83_0-1643970123663.png

I read all files and lastwrite time from the server, compare that to the directory. If the file excist but the lastwritetime has changed, i generate a delete qquery, and then I re-run the remaining data.

But how in pactice would you do this, with files?

Without adding it as a column in the file?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Hamder83 

Just a have separate yxdb file which stores only the last write date this way it always reads only a file which might have only 1 row (last write date)

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Hi @atcodedog05 

maybe im missing comething, but I dont see how to solve it correctly. If you have a chance would you take alook at my sample flow, and maybe correct it?

Thank you 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Hamder83 

The workflow would be something like this

atcodedog05_0-1643978987487.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels