Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to trim the value before and after specific characters

Bansi08
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

I have column where values are like below table. I want trim this value such a way before gp- and after _2023 characters will get eliminated and i will get below output data. these are just sample values i have many records with such scenarios but condition is same for all. Can anyone please help me on this. 

Barbados-capital-investments-gp-growth-plan-series-i_2023_06_30_fund-performance-report
Barbados-capital-investments-gp-growth-plan-series-ii_2023_06_30_fund-performance-report

Output data

growth-plan-series-i
growth-plan-series-ii
10 REPLIES 10
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Bansi08 

You could use a formula like this:

Regex_replace([Data],'.*gp-(.*)_2023.*','$1')

the regex expression can be broken down as:

.* > any number of characters

gp- > specifically 'gp-'

(.*) > any number of characters (the parenthesis indicate this is what we want)

_2023 > specifically '_2023'

.* > any number of characters

image.png

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Bansi08 , I would probably use the Parse function of the RegEx tool to do this:

image.png

Bansi08
7 - Meteor

I used Luke's solution. Its working absolutely fine as expected. Thanks!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Bansi08 

Can you provide accurate sample data then?

Bansi08
7 - Meteor

why we used $1 in the formula, could you please advise. 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Bansi08 

$1 indicates that we want to select the first "marked group" (indicated by being in parenthesis). So that's what tells us to keep the values you want. Regex expressions can have multiple marked groups, so $1 $2 $3 and so on for however many things you want to separate out

Bansi08
7 - Meteor

Hi Luke -- Would you please also help with expression to trim only date from given name. I want to populate 2023-06-30 date from given name using regex_replace function using formula tool. 

I tried but unable to write correct expression. 

Thank you

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Bansi08 

something like this should work:

Regex_replace([Data],'.*(\d{4}_\d{2}_\d{2}).*','$1')

then you would use a datetimeparse function to get it into a date format:

DateTimeParse([Data],'%Y_%m_%d')

Bansi08
7 - Meteor

Hi Luke -- Will you please share workflow using sample data. I am not able to implement given solution in my workflow. I have already resolved this hurdle but your solution seems better than mine to handle future issues. 

Thanks!

Labels