Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to replace a blank cell with "0"

gagandeep_dhall
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

How can I replace a blank cell in a column by "0".

StatusTotal number
completed2
pending1
error 1 
error 21

What is happening is:

DateCompletedpendingerror 1error 2
Jan 721null1
6 REPLIES 6
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Try Data cleansing tool.  it replaces nulls with blanks for string fields and nulls with zero for numeric fields. 

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @gagandeep_dhall 

I suggest checking out the Data Cleansing tool. One of the functions of that tool is to replace null numeric field with 0.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/data-cleansing-tool 

20210107-ReplaceNull.JPG

An important note is that this requires the field to be a numeric type (Int, Double, etc). If it not, you could either convert the field to numeric, or add the string character "0". There's lots of ways to do either so let us know if we can help with that. 

gagandeep_dhall
8 - Asteroid

Hi @CharlieS 

thanks a ton. 

I used it and now it no longer shows me null.

But I figured out that I have to actually put "1" in all the blank fields for it to count that field 🙂

How can I do that?

Regards,

Gagandeep

gagandeep_dhall
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS  to add to the above query, I tried using replace function, but it gives me an error that "tried to apply string operator to numeric value"

gagandeep_dhall
8 - Asteroid

Hi @CharlieS  I was able to do that 🙂 

Do you know how can I add "%" to a set of values in columns?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@gagandeep_dhall wrote:

But I figured out that I have to actually put "1" in all the blank fields for it to count that field 🙂

@gagandeep_dhall wrote:

I tried using replace function, but it gives me an error that "tried to apply string operator to numeric value"

One way to achieve that is to apply a formula expression to that field that uses a simple IF statement like this:

IF IsEmpty([Total Number]) THEN 1
ELSE [Total Number] ENDIF

@gagandeep_dhall wrote:

Do you know how can I add "%" to a set of values in columns?

Again, there's a few ways to go about this.

1. Convert the field to a string so the "%" character can be added with an expression like: [Total Number]+"%"

2. If you plan to output to a file like Excel, then you could use the Table tool in the Reporting section to create a layout which include a "%" suffix on the field before it is rendered to Excel. 

Examples of all attached.

Labels