Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to rename columns in an efficient way.

AnaLG
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have a dataset with different column I want to rename based on a universal naming convention. I tried to do what was indicated in one solution to a similar problem and I don't know what I am getting wrong, but it is not working, as it is not changing the name of my columns. The following is what I did:

• I created a Reference table in Excel that contains two columns: one for the original names and another one for the corresponding default names (the universal ones).
  • Use the Join tool to join your input data with a reference table.
  • Configure the Join tool to perform a Left Join, so that all records from your input data are included.

The aforementioned did not work. So, instead I did this:

• Added a ‘Dynamic Rename’ node, that is going to check the way fields are written, and rename them.  This is simpler but not efficient as I will have to write all the possibilities that columns might be called.

So, would anyone be able to assist and tell me what I am doing wrong/missing in the first solution and why is not renaming anything for me?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

2 REPLIES 2
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Couldn't you use the Dynamic Rename tool to rename by "Take Field Names from Right Input Rows"?  Dynamic Rename Tool (alteryx.com)

AnaLG
7 - Meteor

Hi @alexnajm. That seems to be working perfectly! Thanks a million.

Labels