Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to only filter and get a record on MIN date

Oskido
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I would like to make a filter to only get a record available based on MIN date

Here is an example:

I have a Date field and Skill field. I would like to make filter that will automatically retrieve the record on MIN date in this case "UWGLSERVSA"

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Based on MIN date across the entire data set, or MIN date after grouping by another field?

Use a Summarize tool to find the MIN date

Then a Join tool:

Left input anchor: your original data stream, with the detail records

Right input anchor: gets data from the Summarize output anchor

Join fields:  Left Date, Right MIN Date

Chris

jdminton
12 - Quasar

You would do something like this

Snag_27ddc619.png

jdminton
12 - Quasar

I see @ChrisTX described it while I was doing it! lol

Oskido
7 - Meteor

Thank you all for a quick response. 

What happens in a scenario where the MIN date is the same for two different records?

See record number 5 in the attached image.

Thanks..

Raj
15 - Aurora

@Oskido 
if you have a same min date for 2 records
you will have 2 records in output.

jdminton
12 - Quasar

Yes, @Raj is correct, you will get both. If you want to only get one, you could do another summarize after the join to take first of the skill, but that will only return the first in the list. If you are looking for other criteria, you would need to decide how you want to retrieve the record first.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

@Oskido for your question: What happens in a scenario where the MIN date is the same for two different records?

The question back to you is:   what do you "want" to happen where the MIN date is the same for two different records?

If you want only one MIN value for the entire data set, don't use any Group By field in the Summarize tool.  The join by only the date field in the JOIN tool.

If you want a separate MIN value based on another field (like Skill), include the field in a Group By action in the Summarize tool.  The join by both fields in the JOIN tool.

Chris

Labels