Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to input monthly file automatically in Alteryx?

anhnguyenngoc2002
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I'm doing monthly report. I have folder of each month, every folder contains same 2 file inputs like below. 

I have built workflow to calculate necessary result for monthly report. 

What I want to do is that when I input a month, for e.x April 2022 and I aslo want to calculate following 3 months report, it will give me the reporting of 4 months April, May, June and July. Each result of each month will be output to its folder.

I have attach needed input to clear my problem. I think I will have to use Macros in Alteryx but have no idea about this. Please help me with this.

Thank you very much.

anhnguyenngoc2002_0-1684579291605.png

anhnguyenngoc2002_3-1684580766957.png

8 REPLIES 8
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@anhnguyenngoc2002 

I would like to know how you are thinking about parameterizing this flow of yours.
how do you inform the month to be processed and also the number of months you want to process. The way you are thinking. the way it is, it's hardcoded for input and output files.

anhnguyenngoc2002
7 - Meteor

Hi @geraldo 

My first idea is that I will input start month and number of months I want to calculate. Then it will automatically generate that month, maybe using Row Generate Tool (?). These month will be replaced in the path folder input/ouput. The calculation process I have already done, I think I gonna use macro for this process. Yep, my problem now is still the input and output.

Could you please help me with this?

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@anhnguyenngoc2002 

I imagined that you were going to use a parameter file or you were going to do it using the graphic interface.
Because in this way what you are proposing will be hardcode you will need to enter the workflow and edit for the needs.
the ideal is to read a parameter file where you can standardize the month in one column, another column the number of months and in another the path where the files will be generated/read and written

A suggestion if there is a need to create new folders is to use the report tool as it automatically creates folders and the output data tool does not.

I can give you ideas if needed.

anhnguyenngoc2002
7 - Meteor

Hi @geraldo 

I have created a column containing needed reporting months and their directory path. How can I import these path to input file? 

Will Action tool be oke? I'm not clear about this tool

anhnguyenngoc2002_0-1684679485479.png

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@anhnguyenngoc2002 

Following your workflow I made an adjustment to exemplify the use of the macro.
In the workflow you are already creating the dates. I put a formula to format the date to "Jan 2023" and created a macro to receive some data.
Make the necessary adjustments for the calculations, I believe that with a few adjustments you will achieve your goals

my Alteryx version is 2022.1 if yours is lower you have to edit the macro first and save

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@anhnguyenngoc2002 You can convert your workflow into the App and select the month you want to run the report

binuacs_0-1684705506213.png

And if you sect the April 2022 the macro will generate next 3 months report as well and save in the respective folders

binuacs_1-1684705644425.png

anhnguyenngoc2002
7 - Meteor

Hi @binuacs 

How can I change the folder output pathway by a random reporting month I enter?

Could you please help me with this?

Thank you!

anhnguyenngoc2002_1-1684752514654.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@anhnguyenngoc2002 Make it an analytical app

binuacs_0-1684753335673.png

Labels