Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to extract outlook email attachments without using the Outlook Input Tool or Access db

SDJ57
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way, within Alteryx, to extract Excel attachments from Outlook emails without the use of the Outlook Input tool or saving emails to an Access database?

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Outside of Alteryx, we are using the Microsoft Flow tool.  We had to install a connector to give the tool access to our network folders.  There is a file size limit of 20Mb for each attachment.  For larger attachments, the flow sends me an email and I have to save the attachments manually.

If you decide to use Microsoft Flow, I have a decent flow that has been working without errors.  The templates that were available to save attachments had small issues that created constant issues.  So I created a new flow which has been working better than any of the templates.

Chris

SDJ57
8 - Asteroid

@ChrisTX thank you for your response, and I'll keep this for future reference. I apologize that my question was not complete. I am looking for a solution utilizing Alteryx aside from the Outlook Input tool and having the emails saved into an Access database.

Drvt6713
8 - Asteroid

Hi Chris,

I am interested in your MS Flow you developed to save Outlook file attachments.

I am assuming your flow still works with the migration by MS from Flow to Power Automate?

Can you send me the flow or a couple screen shots with the programming used in the Flow?

Thanks.

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

See attached screenshots.  I created 3 flows with the same configuration:

Instant: as soon as a new email arrives

Scheduled: every 6 hours:  used as a backup, if/when the Instant fails

Manually triggered: to run it manually

Yes, even in Power Automate, flows are still called Flows.

You'll also need the Connector if you want to save to a network folder (installed by our IT team).  Or maybe you can save to a Sharepoint folder, haven't tried that.

Chris

Labels