Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to convert - negative symbol into () Accounting format in Alteryx?

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

Hello Great Analytics Minds:

Good afternoon. How can I convert - symbol into () in a column?

Current valueHow I want to show
-2500(2500)
-350(350)

Appreciate your help. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Kinetic_analytics, in order to achieve this result you'll need to sacrifice the numeric data type as you can't have this display without creating a string. To actually get to this format you'll want to use something along the following lines where you check that the value is negative and if so, strip away the - sign and bracket the value:

DataNath_0-1666710518045.png

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

Brilliant! Thank you. :)

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

@DataNath Do you have any other solution? Thanks :) 

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Kinetic_analytics as with most things in Alteryx, there's a bunch of ways you could tackle this. As for adding extra tools etc, I don't think that makes sense as it can be handled more than fine within the Formula tool itself. However, here's a few ways using various different string functions that lead to the same outcome:

DataNath_0-1666712176744.png

Of course, all of these could also be turned into immediate if (IIF) statements, taking the form of IIF(Condition, Outcome_if_true, Outcome_if_false), instead of writing them in the standard way as I have. I find writing them out in full tends to be more reader/user-friendly.

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

That is right. Thanks again for sharing the knowledge. :)

Labels