Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to convert - negative symbol into () Accounting format in Alteryx?

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

Hello Great Analytics Minds:

Good afternoon. How can I convert - symbol into () in a column?

Current valueHow I want to show
-2500(2500)
-350(350)

Appreciate your help. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Kinetic_analytics, in order to achieve this result you'll need to sacrifice the numeric data type as you can't have this display without creating a string. To actually get to this format you'll want to use something along the following lines where you check that the value is negative and if so, strip away the - sign and bracket the value:

DataNath_0-1666710518045.png

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

Brilliant! Thank you. :)

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

@DataNath Do you have any other solution? Thanks :) 

DataNath
17 - Castor

@Kinetic_analytics as with most things in Alteryx, there's a bunch of ways you could tackle this. As for adding extra tools etc, I don't think that makes sense as it can be handled more than fine within the Formula tool itself. However, here's a few ways using various different string functions that lead to the same outcome:

DataNath_0-1666712176744.png

Of course, all of these could also be turned into immediate if (IIF) statements, taking the form of IIF(Condition, Outcome_if_true, Outcome_if_false), instead of writing them in the standard way as I have. I find writing them out in full tends to be more reader/user-friendly.

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

That is right. Thanks again for sharing the knowledge. :)

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels