Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to combine files with the same columns; append rows

dewoods17
7 - Meteor

Hello. I am using large data files that each have multiple years of data in them and would like to combine them. They all have the same columns, and I would like to be able to combine them into one file. Can someone help me? I have examples attached. Examples 1 and 2 represent how the two history files I am using have the same columns and I would like to make the file look like Example 3, all data combined. 

thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dewoods17 ,

The only thing you need to do is to configure your input data tool to read them all. Be careful that your input tool will read all files that starts with 'Example', so you need to guarantee there is no other files with the same prefix.

fmvizcaino_0-1584458053687.png

Best,

Fernando V.

dewoods17
7 - Meteor

okay, and what connection do i use to combine them?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dewoods17 ,

By configuring your input data tool with the *, the tool will upload all the files concatenated as desired. There is no need to configurate anything else 🙂

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

dewoods17
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your help. I added in the " * " but i may still be doing something wrong. Do I need to do anything further to prompt the files to load? 

dewoods17_1-1584460555772.png

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dewoods17 ,

No, that is it! Insert a browse tool after and run your workflow to check that you have all files included in your output.

When you use the * in your filename, the preview stop working, but the output anchor brings all data.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

dewoods17
7 - Meteor

Okay I finally got it thank you!! Last question, Is there a limit to the number of rows that be combined? 

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

No, there isn't! 😄

Henrytabares
7 - Meteor

Fernando, Just to confirm that this made my day... Thank you!!!

Henry

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Glad to help @Henrytabares ! 😁

Labels