Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to change tab names in multiple excel sheets

Gandalf_NotGrey
8 - Asteroid

We have a workflow where we are pulling in data from 30 excel files and 2 tabs in each file. And we have to do this for each month.

The challenge is that the tabs are named differently in each file. (example- xyz, x y z, x-y-z, x-yz, etc.) 

Is there a way in Alteryx, by which I can pick all these excel sheets and rename all the tabs together?

I have added a set of sample files. Let's assume we want the first sheet in each of these sample files to be named as 'Sheet'.

Thank You

5 REPLIES 5
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Gandalf_NotGrey 

Yes, you will be able to do at the time of saving the output.

The below option in Output tab will be able to achieve it.

ShankerV_0-1670491351930.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

Gandalf_NotGrey
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @ShankerV 

The thing is, these are the raw files, whose tab name I want to change.

I am not creating these files, I just need to change the tab name so that I can then use an input tool to read data from all of them.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Gandalf_NotGrey 

Yes there is a way of doing this, but it can be reasonably complex.

You have two options; VBA script and the Run Command tool, or Python. Having had a quick look on the community @PhilipMannering posted a solution using Python a few months back, which seems to match what you're looking for - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dynamic-Tab-Renaming-with-Python/m-p/9...

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Gandalf_NotGrey 

To just rename the sheets, you gonna need the help of some programming language.

But using the batch input macro properly configured, you can import all the data to Alteryx, change the necessary sheet names and create a new file. If this is not a problem for you, you can try with this.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1670494080491.png

OBS: the sheets must have data inside to this to work.

Gandalf_NotGrey
8 - Asteroid

Thank You so much @Felipe_Ribeir0 @DavidSkaife @ShankerV for your solutions.

Labels