Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to add multiple rows to Smartsheet

kanemku
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I'm having issues trying to figure out how to add multiple rows to Smartsheet. I'm using workflows from @ivoller from this post about connecting to and pushing data into Smartsheet.  Using the "Write new Smartsheet Record" workflow, I'm successfully able to push one record into Smartsheet, but when I try to alter the inputs to have more than one row to add, it concatenates all of them into one row.

kanemku_1-1660574413208.png

I then get error 1037 back from Smartsheet saying that I have the same column ID in the row more than once.

kanemku_0-1660574381645.png

This won't work for me because I'm trying to push records from one database into Smartsheet using Alteryx, and there will be thousands of records passed through. 

How can I form the JSON to match Smartsheet's requirements so that I can add multiple rows programmatically? 

THANK YOU!

3 REPLIES 3
BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@kanemku 
I was just able to figure this out. The first thing you will need to do is figure out your Smartsheet Column IDs, also take note of the other highlighted fields.  I used Postman to figure these out.

smartsheetPostman.JPG

• I created a Text Input with the column information. 

smartsheetColumnIDs.JPG

• I created some sample data with the field names matching the field names in my Smartsheet
  • Added a RecordID and transposed the data with the RecordID as the Key Column.

smartsheetTranspose.JPG

• Rename the 'Name' column coming out of the Transpose to "Column" with a Select tool
    Capture.JPG

• I have a Dropdown list as a field so I added a 'Type' field with a Formula tool
    • if [Column] = 'Status' then 'PICKLIST' ELSE Null() endif
      smartsheetFormula.JPG
  • Join the column IDs back in
    smartsheetJoin.JPG

From there, I used the rest of the workflow you referenced from @ivoller's post but in the Summarize tool I grouped by RecordID to create individual records.

smartsheetMultipleRows.JPG

Hope this helps.

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

[UPDATE]

Looks like I've run into an issue with writing a large count of rows to Smartsheet. 

I am able to create a single row but multiple row testing it shows that it's getting every other row or even more occasionally.  Anyone run into this issue?

Capture.JPG

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

SUCCESS!!!

Found the solution using this Smartsheet Community post:  https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/100330/bulk-post-operation-syntax

• After getting your data in order, sort by RecordID and then ColumnID
    smartsheetSort.JPG
  • Create a field named "cell"
    • Use formula:
      '{
      "columnId": '+id+',
      "value": "' +[Value]+ '"
      }

• Summarize Tool
    • Group By:  RecordID
    • Concatenate:  cell
      • I renamed this to "cells