Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Select Data Specific Fields to Retain in an App [Macro] for Front-filling.

emil_pwc
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community,

I have been trying to build an app that where I front-fill values if they are null for specific columns/fields that I select but after many attempts have failed to do so.

This is what my workflow looks like. The python part that front fills works fine, but it front fills for all columns, not specifically selected ones.

emil_pwc_0-1671447287530.png

I would like it to be flexible, such that I can select a column regardless of what name it had and I would also like to be able to tick off multiple columns that my Python code gets applied to so they get front filled. So, perhaps drop down menu is not the correct interface tool.

Problem 1:

The follow screenshot is what I have in my drop down tool, but as I am only able to select the column that were in the text input file I used to create the macro, it does not dynamically adapt to the file column names.

emil_pwc_1-1671447478365.png

Problem 2:

Also, it does not only retain the column I select in the dropdown menu, but retains all columns.

Problem 3:

Using the drop down menu only allow me to select one column.

Hope you can help me. Please find attached my app workflow. Thanks for the feedback/support.

3 REPLIES 3
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @emil_pwc 

I think i've got it to do what you're looking for. As you say it's an app i've changed it to an app, and changed your input over to a List Box tool, to allow for multiple selections.

The Action tool has been changed to 'Update Select with Multi-select Listbox', and i've changed your inputs/outputs back to non macro ones. When you run it as an app it seems to work correctly and the user can select fields as required, plus it picks up any changes to the input.

DavidSkaife_0-1671449522703.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@emil_pwc as @DavidSkaife mentioned update your action tool property to 

binuacs_0-1671450909376.png

emil_pwc
5 - Atom

Hi DavidSkaife,

Thanks a lot for your input. I am now able to achieve what I wanted by changing the interface tool to a "List Box" and changing the action tool to "Update Select with multi-select ListBox" as well as unticking the "Show Field Map" for the Macro Input tool.

I suppose what I originally wanted was a macro with a list box input with no dropdown menus only tick boxes. So apologies for my description being off as I mentioned an app. Nevertheless, your take was very helpful.

Labels