Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Help with formula tool

SahilArora3139
8 - Asteroid

Hi

i am facing issue to create some logic around:

travler name.  ABC

. Traveler id.   12344

Expense type.  HOTEL

transaction date  2023-03-01

travel date.   2023-04-01

i need to build some logic like

1) more than one room should not be booked on the same date.

2) hotel is not booked for the date on which the travler is not travelling

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Can you post a sample workflow, with the logic you have so far?  Or do you not know where to start?

Have you tried the Learning Paths at the top of this page, under Learn > Academy?

Is your sample data correct?  Does Traveler id actually start with a period?  Is there a missing period after transaction date?

You haven't posted enough sample data.  You want logic that requires multiple input records to test, but you haven't provided enough input data.  

I'm guessing your logic will also require fields like check in and check out date, but your input data does not have those fields.

Chris

SahilArora3139
8 - Asteroid

Traveler id is basically nothing but empid of the traveler

and 

yes traveling end date is 2023-04-02

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Your requirements and your sample input data aren't enough for me to help you.

Can you post a sample workflow, with the logic you have so far?  Or do you not know where to start?

Have you tried the Learning Paths at the top of this page, under Learn > Academy?

Hopefully someone else can help you.

Chris

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@SahilArora3139 consolidating traffic to this thread, as the original inquiry has been duplicated here: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Logic-requirement/td-p/1216660

As @ChrisTX indicated, it would be helpful to see additional data from your workflow so we can develop logic which counts the frequency travelers are arranging multiple hotel accommodations.

At the end of the workflow, what do you want to have happened? Do you want a specific user to receive an email notifying them of the duplicative travel arrangements? Do you want a summary rollup sent to another team? Do you want to track duplicative travel arrangements over time?

SahilArora3139
8 - Asteroid

I am not sure from where to start.

This is the data set .

also just replace hotel with air fare type

1) more than one flight should not be booked on the same date.

2) flight is not booked for the date on which the travler is not travelling

i am trying to put some date formula but unable to kick start with it.

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@SahilArora3139 what we are looking for is either sample data from the data.xlsx and/or expense.xlsx file. This will enable others to create the logic and base reports you are needing for this project.

Based on what I *think* you are attempting to do, I would generally recommend the following pieces of advice:

1. Determine aggregation levels for reports: are we wanting to create reports that are sent out about individual activity, or do we need rollups by region, department, etc.? From here, the reports can start being built out to the level you are needing them
  2. Determine who should be receiving this information: is it a department head, are we sending reports to individuals and asking them to correct their fare information?
  3. Determine how the recipients receive that information: based on what we are sending, it will be important to understand how your stakeholders will want to receive that information. Alteryx is pretty awesome here and gives developers a number of options (email directly to recipients, push the data to a database to support dashboard building).

Barring receipt of sample data to assist in developing this workflow on your behalf,  I would develop the following:

1. Develop logic to flag the duplicative bookings where we should not have a person booking two or more fares.
  2. After the initial data set, determine at what frequency the checks need to occur - this will be helpful if the workflow is standing up on Alteryx Gallery to automatically run and then send reports out to stakeholders who would be concerned with the data.
  3. Based on what your organization's policies are, you may want to automatically email those who are creating duplicate fares. This will ultimately look like finding the contacts who are associated with those duplicate fares, then emailing them the details of their bookings and requesting them to revise or pull back one of the fares (Email tool in a batch macro). You would want to collect all of the fare information for a specific user, determine if there are multiple fares scheduled on the same day, flag those records, filter the data set for the flagged records, and then send the recipient one email that has the full list of records they are needing to change.
Labels